The Local Plan sets out planning policies for the area and is a key driver in determining planning applications and development opportunities in the East Riding. The current Local Plan was adopted in 2016. The council has reviewed this Plan and is now consulting on a draft update. This consultation is the second stage in reviewing the Local Plan, following an Options Document consultation and call for sites in 2018. Responses to this consultation will be considered and will help to finalise a revised ‘pre-submission’ Local Plan that will be consulted on and then submitted to the Secretary of State for examination.
On Friday, 28 May 2021 the following documents will be published for a 10 week period of public consultation:
- Draft Strategy Document Update - sets out the updated planning policy for development in the East Riding. This includes the broad amount and location of development, for uses such as housing and employment, to be brought forward over the plan period to 2039. Additionally, policies relating to different issues such as protecting landscape character, minimising the risk of flooding and providing affordable housing are also addressed in this document.
- Draft Allocations Document Update - sets out site specific policies for how residential, employment, retail and mixed use draft allocations should be developed in order to meet the targets of the Draft Strategy Document. Draft allocations include the re-allocation and de-allocation of existing adopted Local Plan sites along with new sites in some locations.
- Draft Policies Map Update - a series of supporting Draft Policies Maps show the exact locations where development is proposed, as well as areas that should be protected from development.
A range of background and evidence base documents supporting the aims of the Draft Local Plan Update will also be published on Friday 28 May. These include:
- Sustainability Appraisal - assesses whether the draft policies are a sustainable option for the future.
- Draft Infrastructure Study - identifies the infrastructure, such as roads, schools and doctors surgeries, required to meet growth which may come forward.
- Draft Whole Plan Viability Assessment – identifies that the range of developer contributions sought by the Local Plan will still allow developments to be financially viable.
- Summary of Allocations by Settlement Document - sets out whether the draft proposed sites in each settlement are new allocations, existing allocations or deleted allocations.
The closing date for responses is Friday, 6 August 2021.
How to view the documents
All consultation documents are available to view on the council’s website at: www.eastriding.gov.uk/localplanupdate. Also available online are a series of interactive information pages that summarise key issues and signpost the reader to the relevant consultation documents.
The Draft Strategy Document Update, Draft Allocations Document Update, Draft Policies Map Update and Summary of Allocations by Settlement Document are also available to view in hard copy at all East Riding libraries, customer service centres, multi service centres and mobile libraries during normal opening hours.
Please note, these locations are now open for browsing but coronavirus restrictions are currently in place and measures can differ depending on location. These may include but are not restricted to; wearing face coverings, hand sanitisation, restrictions on browsing time, queuing outside the site at busy times, one way systems and a requirement to log in via the Government test and trace app on arrival. Please consider accessing the documents online before travelling to an East Riding facility.
Before visiting please visit www.eastridingculture.co.uk/coronavirus for the latest coronavirus information. For the opening times and address details of these facilities please visit www.eastriding.gov.uk/library-finder and www.eastriding.gov.uk/csc or call (01482) 393939.
Hard copies may be purchased from the Forward Planning team. Details of prices are available on request.
A series of events are being arranged to give you an opportunity to speak to a planning officer about the issues. Due to national coronavirus restrictions the majority of events will be held virtually. We hope to host some face-to-face public drop in events in due course but these are subject to the easing of national coronavirus restrictions to ensure the safety of staff and members of the public. A final event schedule will be circulated in due course.
How to comment on the documents
In light of the coronavirus restrictions, a longer consultation period of 10 weeks has been arranged to allow more time to review all the documents available. All consultation responses should be received on or before Friday, 6 August 2021.
To comment on the consultation documents, please complete the online smart survey response form at: www.eastriding.gov.uk/localplanupdate. The form is easy to use and allows you to comment on as many or few consultation documents as you wish, save your response and continue at a later date and upload supporting attachments.
Alternatively, you can write a letter and send it to Forward Planning (AS67), County Hall, Cross Street, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA.
Please note, electronic responses are our preferred method of contact. Electronic responses can be processed more easily helping the Local Plan Update to progress more quickly.
Comments will be made publicly available on the council’s website in due course after the consultation period has ended (the council only redacts personal data in respect of email addresses, telephone numbers and signatures). To ensure we can log all responses and keep you informed of progress on the Local Plan, your details will be retained and used in accordance with our privacy notice.
How to contact us
If you have any queries or wish to speak to a planning officer before submitting a response, please contact the Forward Planning team via email or telephone at (01482) 391701.
The telephone number provided is a dedicated line for consultation queries. If an officer is unavailable at the time of calling, please leave a message and we will get back to you.
We look forward to receiving your response.